Saturday, July 27, 2013

Firecracker Slaw


I am always keeping my eye out for different slaw recipes.  I've yet to try one I wouldn't eat a second time!  So what an interesting combination in this one: celery, peppers, jalapeno, and Italian salad dressing.

The dressing is sweetened with a bit of brown sugar so you've got tart, sweet, and spicy.  And of course that wonderful crunch that I love.  It's easy to make (I halved the recipe), the celery adds an extra crunch, and as long as you make sure you remove all of the seeds and the veins, the jalapeno just adds another layer of flavor and just a tiny bit of heat.

I generally go pretty light on dressings and may lessen the amount next time I make this, but not by much.  Try starting with a little more than half and keep adding until it suits your taste.

FIRECRACKER SLAW (8-10 servings)

1 (16 oz) package shredded coleslaw mix
3 ribs of celery, sliced (if stalks are extra wide, slice in half lengthwise, then slice)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeds and veins removed, and finely diced
1 cup Italian salad dressing
2 Tbsp light brown sugar

In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, celery, and peppers.

In a small bowl, whisk together the salad dressing and brown sugar until the sugar dissolves; pour over the cabbage mixture, tossing to coat completely.

Cover and chill for at least one hour before servings.

Recipe Source:  Chattanooga Times Free Press newspaper, 7-10-13

NOTE:  The day after I made this I picked up my favorite (Mojo) rotisserie chicken at Publix.  As I was cleaning it I thought "hmmmm....I wondered what some of this chicken would taste like mixed with that fabulous slaw?"  Well, I'll tell you:  FABULOUS!!!  A great chicken salad alone or would be great in a wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment