Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Spicy, Smoky, Sweet Chili


I imagine most folks have their favorite chili recipe.  I don't.  Chili for me is usually a "clearing out the freezer/fridge/pantry" dinner.  I don't think I've ever made it the same way twice.

So when I ran across this recipe, I didn't think too much of it.  And then I saw the magic ingredient: smoked paprika!!!!  Why hadn't I thought of this?  I love all things smoked paprika and chili is the absolute perfect vehicle for this beloved seasoning.

So if you have your favorite chili recipe, by all means use it.  Just try adding some smoked paprika.  Or use this wonderful recipe provided by the Iowa Girl.  It's delicious.  I served mine with cornbread sticks.  A green salad is a nice touch.

SPICY, SMOKY, SWEET CHILI (6 servings)

1 lb ground beef, turkey, or chili
1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
S&P
29 oz can tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, or tomato puree
15 oz can Bush's vegetarian baked beans (not drained)
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp chili powder
1-2 heaping Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp smoked paprika
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to toss....I don't use any)
chopped cilantro, optional

Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green or yellow/white onions, tortilla chips, sour cream

Brown meat, shallot or onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat, seasoning with S&P.  Add the remaining ingredients then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.

CROCK POT COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:  Transfer ground meat to a 5/6 quart crock pot then add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine (can be done ahead of time.  Store in the fridge until ready to start cooking).  Place a lid on top then cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Recipe Source: http://iowagirleats.com/2014/09/24/signature-spicy-smoky-sweet-chili-crock-pot-friendly/

No comments:

Post a Comment