Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Cream of Jalapeno Soup


Yippee!!!  Jim came home and helped me get all the photos off of our camera and onto my new computer.   So I've got a backlog of recipes to start posting, plus, now that he's home, I'm back in the kitchen!

I'm posting this recipe first because it's one of my favorites.  I don't remember how I came across the recipe, but it came from Sargento, the cheese folks and is dated July of 2001.   I have lost the recipe several times and ran across it again recently and knew I had to get it posted so I won't lose it again! 

This is not a spicy soup, but certainly has the jalapeno flavor.  This original recipe is incredibly rich so I tried reducing it a bit by using less butter, reduced-fat cheese, and half-and-half.  I don't know the rules of substituting fat-free half-and-half, but I would love to try it that way to reduce the guilt even more.

CREAM of JALAPENO SOUP (6 servings)

4 Tbsp butter, divided
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
3 fresh or canned jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 Tbsp AP flour
3 cup chicken broth
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
Hot sauce and/or Cajun seasoning, optional

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion, carrot, and bell pepper; reduced heat and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally (Note to Self:  make sure bell and jalapeno peppers and well-cooked and tender).  Stir in jalapeno peppers.  Remove vegetable mixture from saucepan; set aside.

Melt remaining butter in medium saucepan.  Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add broth and cream; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes until thickened.  Add reserved vegetables and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.  If you like it spicier, add hot sauce and/or Cajun seasoning (I use Nunu's).

Recipe Source: Sargento Foods




No comments:

Post a Comment