Monday, October 29, 2012

French Lentil Vegetable Soup

OK, so I'll eat and make lentil soup because I know it's a good, healthy, low-fat, high-fiber meal.  And especially since we're absolutely into the autumn season, I will have soup in the frig every day (I'm a soup-addict.....I'll eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, year-around).  But lentil soups in general just don't "float my boat."  And then I discovered French lentils.  What a difference!!!!!  Instead of turning to mush like traditional lentils do, these still keep a bit of a "snap" to them.

This is a fabulous recipe I ran across several years ago.  I wish I could remember when I first discovered French lentils.  Regardless, I will never turn back.  No more of those other awful things which give health food a bad name.  Switch to these.  You won't be disappointed.

FRENCH LENTIL VEGETABLE SOUP (Serves 4-8, depending on cup or bowl size)

1/2 pound French green lentils
2 cups chopped sweet onions
2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (1 leek)
2 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp EVOO, plus more for drizzling
2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp coarsely-ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried (I used fresh, plus added another 1/2 Tbsp after cooking)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 cups medium-diced celery (about 4 stalks)
1 1/2 cups medium-diced carrot (about 4 small carrots)
1 1/2 qt chicken stock
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp red wine or red wine vinegar
Freshly shaved Parmesan

In a bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit at least 15 minutes.  Drain.

In a stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the EVOO, S&P, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.  Add the celery and carrots and saute for 10 more minutes.  Add the stock, tomato paste, and lentils.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through (don't let 'em get mushy!)  Check seasonings.  Add additional thyme if you'd like.  Add the red wine and serve hot, drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with Parmesan. 

Enjoy! 

NOTE:  Since Jim is on outage, I'm not fixing dinner every night so there won't be such frequent postings as usual.  I'll have to try to step up my baking for the office and will try to keep up on my soups and salads to keep things around for myself.  I should be back on track by the first of the year.

I hope you're all enjoying the autumn temps and colors as much as I am!  Our thoughts are with our friends on the East Coast.....stay safe! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment