Thursday, March 6, 2014

Autumn Sweet Potato Smoothie


I don't want you to think I'm going all rogue on you with a bunch of smoothie recipes....unless they're just really unique and exceptional, I'll keep the basics to myself.

This one is definitely unique and exceptional!  My favorite so far.  I actually had everything on hand (still hand some cranberries in the freezer from the holidays) except the dates, which I omitted.  But the flavor is incredible!  And this tiny bit of ginger really comes through.

Again, I am amazed at the Vitamix.  I threw in the whole batch of grapes with the stems!  The cranberries were completely pulverized and the smoothie was, well, smooth.  Whoever came up with this weird list of ingredient hit a gold mine.

On a personal note:  I will be leaving here on Saturday to visit my ailing Alzheimer's mom in Oklahoma City for the week, so I'll be out of touch for a while.  I will be taking my camera and if we come up with some yummy new recipe to share with you, I'll post it while I'm away.  Otherwise, I'll see you in a few weeks.  Please do check back and don't forget me!

AUTUMN SWEET POTATO SMOOTHIE (makes 3 1/2 cups, about two 16-ounce servings)

1 1/3 cups (200 g) red grapes (stems removed if using traditional blender)
1/2 medium orange, peeled
1/2 cup (100 g) cooked, peeled sweet potato
1/2 medium apple, 4 oz (114 g), halved (seeded if using a traditional blender)
1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger root
2 pitted dates
1/4 cup (25 g) frozen cranberries
2 cups (480 ml) ice cubes

Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed and secure lid.

Select low speed.

Turn machine on and then switch to High speed.

Blend for 1 minute, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.

No comments:

Post a Comment