Monday, September 22, 2014

Creamy Apple and Parsnip Soup



HAPPY FALL, Y'ALL!!!  Glory be!  I just adore autumn and all of the wonderful changes.  Cool sweater-weather, changing leaves, and soup, soup, soup!

And what a great beginning to fall we got here in southeastern Tennessee today....highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s.  There's a nice breeze and I just couldn't stop myself, I had to make some soup.  The problem was which one to choose.  Not to worry though, I plan on going through my soup file one by one.  So if you, too, are a soup aficionado, stay tuned. 

Looking at recipes on the horizon I think to myself "That one! No that one! But that one is my favorite."  Fact is, I don't have a favorite.  They're all so good.  From creamy to broth-based or vegetarian to beef stew, I won't turn down any of them.  Soup is probably my favorite dish to make and to eat.  I had only made one soup with parsnips before (Spinach and Parsnip Soup Dijon......it's one of my favorites!  hehehe) so this recipe was on top of the stack I had prepared for the advent of autumn.  It's a new one for me and, yes, it was no disappointment.

You could keep this vegan by omitting the cream and the flavor is just as good.  It does make a nice bridge between the earthiness of the parsnips and the tartness of the apple.  The Granny Smith I got was on the lemon-end of tartness and I wasn't sure it would work, but it all came together beautifully.  A delicious beginning to my favorite season.

CREAMY APPLE and PARSNIP SOUP (6 servings)

1 Tbsp EVOO
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3/4-1 lb parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 lb tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
scant 1/8 tsp ground cloves (taste when done, add a tiny bit more if you desire)
fresh thyme sprigs
1/4 cup heavy cream
t Tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

In a large saucepan, heat EVOO over medium-high.  Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.  Add parsnips, apples, garlic, and clove and cook, stirring occasionally, about 1-2 minutes.  Add stock and 6 sprigs of thyme.  Season with S&P.

Reduce heat to medium-low; cover.  Simmer until apples and parsnips are tender, about 25 minutes.  Discard thyme.  Using an immersion blender, puree (or transfer to a blender, puree, then return to pan).  Stir in cream and season with any additional S&P to taste.  Garnish with pepitas and remaining thyme sprigs.

Recipe Source:  Everyday with Rachel Ray, October 2014, Apple Recipes Insert, p. 9

No comments:

Post a Comment