Friday, October 17, 2014

Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup


I know that just about everytime I post a soup recipe, I say that "this is one of my absolute favorites."  So I think I'm going to have to start categorizing.  For example "Mushroom Soup." 

This is not one of my favorites, it is by far my most favorite mushroom soup.  I discovered this recipe last year and have to sit on my hands every summer waiting for fall because, well, this is definitely an exceptional autumn soup.  The simple step of roasting the mushroom and then adding the creamy brie send this over the top.  Not to mention, it's easy to make.  You can roast the mushrooms ahead of time.  The original recipe states to cube the brie and fish out the rinds later, but I cut the rind off before addding it to the soup.

Do be careful, though.  If you lust after this soup like I do, you can make yourself sick.  I had to stop and put it away yesterday.  If for no other reason, so I would have some leftover for today.

CREAMY ROASTED MUSHROOM and BRIE SOUP (4 servings)

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, quartered
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 Tbsp AP flour
1/2 cup white wine (or broth)
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
4 oz brie, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup milk or cream
S&P to taste

Toss the mushrooms in the oil, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing them up once in the middle.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.

Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the wine and deglaze the pan.

Add the broth and mushrooms, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the milk and brie, let the brie melt, fish out the rinds and season with S&P to taste before pureeing to the desired consistency and enjoy!

Recipe Source: www.closetcooking.com

No comments:

Post a Comment