Friday, November 7, 2014

French Onion Soup


You can put French Onion Soup in my top favorite soups (okay, along with a bunch of others!)  I've made so many different recipes from easy-peasy to spend-the-day-in-the-kitchen varieties (roasting beef bones, making stock from scratch).  But if you're looking for a quick but still delicious FOS, this is for you.

I keep crostini in my freezer for dips and spreads (cut a quality baguette into about 1/4" slices, brush with EVOO and bake until toasts have begun to brown, about 15-20 minutes in a 325F oven) and this is what I used for the toast.  Swiss or Gruyere is the traditional cheese used in FOS, but I had sliced smoked provolone in the fridge, so that's what I used.   Good anytime of the day.

FRENCH ONION SOUP (about 4 servings)

2 Tbsp butter
2 medium onions, sliced (I use sweet onions like Vidalia, Texas 1015s, WallaWalla, Peru Sweet)
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar if using regular white or yellow onions (no need if using sweets)
1 quart (32 oz) beef broth
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne, optional
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 pound Swiss, Gruyere, (smoked) Provolone
Croutons or toast

Brown onions in butter and sugar (if using), about 10-15 minutes.  Add broth, herbs, and wine and simmer 15 minutes.  Spoon into individual bowls and top each with croutons or toast and grated or sliced cheese.  Bake until cheese melts or place under broiler until bubbly and light brown.

Recipe Source: The Oar d'oeuvre Cookbook, p. 127 (available from marie.mikel@comcast.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment