Thursday, April 18, 2013

Food Find: Goat Butter


My dear friend and fellow Foodie, Donna, flies internationally with American Airlines.  While the rest of the crew go sight-seeing or shopping for clothes on layovers, Donna goes to the grocery stores and markets.  She has sent me some wonderful surprises from all over the world.

In my last package were two kinds of butter.  One is a butter containing coarse salt which she tells me is especially good on sweet summer corn (I have it in the freezer just waiting), and the other was a bar of Goat Butter.  I'd never heard of it, but why not?  Goat cheese and goat milk are readily available.  But after my first taste, I knew I had to get my hands on more.

If you are a fan of goat cheese, you have got to try this.  It has a very mild, subtle taste and you'll want to try it on something plain and simple.....bread, rice, potatoes.  You want to taste the butter, not the vehicle it is served on.  I've wakened in the middle of the night thinking "what can I put some goat butter on?!!!"

The first place I looked for this butter was on-line.  Yea!  I could find it here and have it shipped (not sure if it is ship-able during the summer due to the heat).  But then just for the heck of it, I thought I'd try a couple of our local natural markets and BINGO!!!!  The brand Donna sent to me is called "Helen's Farm."  I found that brand in Chattanooga at EarthFare (although it has been  "temporarily" unavailable for several months now).  But I did find this brand (Meyenberg) first at EarthFare (now discontinued there), but also at Greenwise on the North Shore.  I'm not in that part of town often so when I'm in the area I stock up and put it in the freezer.

I just took another bar out of the freezer and I have a whole-grain baguette looking for a home.  Sorry, folks, gotta go.  Things to do, butter to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment