Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Autumn Chopped Salad


Ahhhh!!!!  Welcome Autumn!!!!  My favorite time of the year (especially here in beautiful Chattanooga) and my favorite dishes......comfort foods, soups, chowders, and chilis, root vegetables.  I've got quite a few new dishes I can hardly wait to try.  I defied my own rules about autumn cooking (high temps cannot be over 79 degrees for an entire week!), but this salad has been sitting on the top of the stack glaring at me for weeks now.  And since I had everything but the pear on hand, I couldn't stop myself.

This is somehow a light and lucious but hearty and filling entree salad.  I was surprised when it called for peanuts instead of walnuts (a traditional pairing with apples and pears and it would certainly work here), but due to a couple of more intense flavors in the salad like the balsamic and feta, it kind of needed the stronger flavor of the peanuts to add another dimension.  This salad needs nothing more than a crusty baguette or loaf of artisan bread and a glass of wine to welcome this wonderful season.

AUTUMN CHOPPED SALAD (serves 2)

1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped (about 6 cups)
4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 pear, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1/4 cups peanuts, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
poppy seed salad dressing, to taste
balsamic vinegar, to taste

Mix lettuce, pair, apple, peanuts, cranberries, and feta cheese in a large bowl.  Add dressing and vinegar to taste.  Toss well and split between two salad plates or bowls.  Top with crumbled bacon.

Recipe Source: www.iowagirleats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment