Monday, December 26, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses


Post-Christmas Greetings everyone!  We had quite a busy week, spent the week with my mom in Oklahoma.  Unfortunately, I didn't prepare any new recipes while there so I had nothing new to post.  We got back Friday night and planned on having a few people over for Christmas dinner.  I just picked up a ham and made a few of my favorite dishes to go along with it, including our favorite potato recipe.  Now this stuff is good with just about anything, but BOY! does it ever go wonderfully with ham!  Recipe courtesy of Central Market, Texas.

I'll be posting some more of my holiday dishes in the days to come, all of our favorites.  I hope you'll try some of them.


SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH THREE CHEESES (Serves 6)

2 oz grated extra-sharp cheddar
2 oz crumbled bleu cheese
3/4 oz grated Parmesan

2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4" thick rounds (I use a mandolin slicer)
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4  cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly butter (I use Pam spray) 8x8 or so glass baking dish.  Mix cheeses in a small bowl.

Arrange half of the potatoes in prepared dish; overlapping slightly.  Sprinkle with S&P.  Sprinkle onion over, then flour.  Dot with 1Tbsp butter.  Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over.  Top with the remaining potoatoes, more S&P, and 1 Tbsp butter.  Reserve remaining cheeses.

Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan (I microwave mine).  Pour milk over potatoes (milk will not completely cover).  Cover tightly with foil, and bake 45 minutes.  Remove foil (liquids in dish may look curdled); sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheese mixture.  Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is a deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer.  (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead.  Let stand at room temp.  Cover and rewarm in a 375 degree oven about 20 minutes).  Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment