Monday, February 13, 2012

Asian Side Salad Dressing


I don't do quite as much Asian cooking as I used to, but I just love it.  And sometimes I'll do an entree which just needs a bit of extra Asian flavor.  This is it.  If you've ever been to a Japanese restaurant or sushi bar, this dressing is the mainstay of an Americanized-Japanese salad.  Simply shredded iceberg lettuce with maybe some grated carrots and cabbage, topped with this dressing.  I found my perfect recipe in an old "Moosewood" cookbook (a famed vegetarian restaurant out of Ithaca, New York).  I can count on this recipe whenever I'm looking for a simple side dish for an Asian entree.

ASIAN SIDE SALAD DRESSING (makes about 1 cup)

1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 medium onion, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
1/2 medium carrot, grated (about 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 Tbsp grated peeled fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp powdered mustard
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp apple cider or apple juice (I used flavored-vodka......I use vodka to keep my freshly-peeled ginger in either vodka or white wine.....I was taught that you can keep ginger in either of these alcohols for, well, just about forever, and they will in turn flavor the alcohol which adds a depth of flavor to your stir fry or whatever you need liquid in to flavor a ginger dish)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
S&P to taste

In a food processor or blender, whirl the garlic, onion, carrot, and ginger for about 30 seconds.  Add the rest of the ingredients, except the S&P, and process until thickened.  Stir in the S&P to taste.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment