Monday, February 27, 2012

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad


I needed a simple whole-grain salad to go with some grilled fish and steamed broccoli tonight.  Quinoa is just about my favorite grain and I found this on allrecipes.com.  Perfect. I so often forget about feta and this was the perfect combination, and I just happened to have everything on hand.  For 2 main-coarse servings, you could add about one cup of cooked, cubed chicken and maybe add some crusty bread.  Could it get any better?

MEDITERRANEAN QUINOA SALAD (serves 2)

1/2 cup water
1/2 cube chicken bouillon (1 used 1/2 tsp chicken powder)
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa


1/4 small red onion, diced
1/4 large green pepper, diced (I also had some red pepper on hand which I diced)
2 Tbsp kalamata olives, diced (I use oil-cured olives)
2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp+ 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil


Bring the water, bouillon cubes, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan.  Stir in the quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 15-20 minutes.  Scrape the quinoa into a large bowl.

Gently stir the onion, bell pepper, chives, feta, parsley, chives, and salt into the quinoa.  Drizzle with the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.  Stir until evenly mixed.  Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment