Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Smoked Salmon Nicoise


This is a dish I haven't made for years.  OK, maybe decades.  Why?  I can't tell you because it is absolutely delicious.  I wish I could give credit to the magazine that published this recipe, but the page I have doesn't have that info.

Now, it also helps that my sweetheart bought me a smoker last year.  I don't know how the idea popped into my head the other day, but I thought to myself "mmmm......a Salad Nicoise sounds good."  So I put it on this week's menu and threw everything together this afternoon.  And like it couldn't get any better, you can make everything ahead of time and then just toss the salad at dinnertime.    I didn't even bother with bread tonight.  This is an ample, healthy, wonderful meal in and of itself.  I hope you'll give it a try.

SMOKED SALMON NICOISE (serves at least 4)

1 pound smoked salmon fillet (note to myself:  I smoked a 1.75" fillet with apple chips for a very short time....30-45 minutes).  Cool
3 medium-sized red-skinned potatoes, cooked and sliced
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cooked (I just snipped of the stems and them broke them in half)
1 small red onion, sliced very thinly (I didn't use quite a whole onion....use to your taste)
1 small can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives
2 T minced fresh parsley leaves
2 T snipped fresh dill

For the Dressing:
1/2 cup canola oil
4 tsp garlic cloves, crushed (about 4 medium cloves)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 flat anchovy fillets, minced
S&P to taste

4 hard boiled eggs, sliced

In a large bowl, combine the salmon, potatoes, green beans, onions, olives, parsley, and dill.

Make the dressing:  In a small saucepan heat the oil with the garlic over moderately low heat until it is warm, discard the garlic with a slotted spoon, and reserve the oil.  In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, anchovies, S&P.  Add the oil in a stream, whisking dressing until it is emulsified.

Pour the dressing over the salmon mixture, S&P to taste.  Toss the mixture gently to combine.  Add the eggs and transfer salad to a platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment