Thursday, November 29, 2012

Salmon Cups

First, apologies for the terrible photo.  I was so busy on Thanksgiving, I wasn't able to get a photo of everything and I only got this one after most of the appetizers were gone.  These were the first to go.

The idea of the recipe came from David Veneble's "Comfort Foods that Bring you Home."  Originally, I was going to do Guacamole Cups, but he suggested other options, including salmon and cream cheese.  I've been making a salmon dip for years which Jim and I just love.  Usually, I serve them on crostini, but I decided to try the eggroll wrappers suggested in his recipe.

The rest of the recipe is really no recipe at all....just mix in the amount of stuff to your tasting.

SALMON CUPS (made about 24 cups)

Canola oil spray
6 egg roll wrappers
8 oz cream cheese (regular, lite, or fat-free), or for something truly lucious, use half cream cheese and half chevre (goat cheese), room temperature
1 package (4 oz?) smoked salmon (it's not the soft salmon that is used in lox, but the firmer salmon.....I can't remember if it's cold or hot-smoked....I find it in a sealed package at Publix)
1-2 Roma tomatoes, depending on size
finely minced red onion
minced capers

sliced black olives, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Spray a 24-serving mini muffin pan with the spray.

Cut the egg roll wrappers into quarters.  Place a square in each muffin tin.  Gently press the wrappers against the bottoms and sides.  Bake for 7-9 minutes until light golden brown.  Remove the cups from the pan and cool on a wire rack.  These can be made a day or two ahead of time and, after cooling, sealed in an airtight container.

Smush the softened cream cheese (and goat cheese, if using).  Add the tomatoes, onions, and capers.  Garnish with olives, if desired. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment