Saturday, November 17, 2012

Standing Rib Roast

We are not a beef-eating family here.  But the other day while at the grocery store, my friend Dianna told me that Publix had their Standing Rib Roast on sale, which they only do once a year.  So what the heck.....I thought I'd give it a try.

Now, for me, the Standing Rib Roast tastes like every other piece of beef I've ever eaten.  The difference is the tenderness.  If you are a beef eater, you will love this.  It if fall-off-the-bone tender.  You won't need a knife.  And if I'm going to eat beef, I want it medium-rare.

I researched a couple of recipes and the #1 thing I found out was don't use salt.  Apparently, the salt will draw the moistness out of the roast.  So, compiling several recipes, this is what I came up with and it came out perfectly:

1 (3 pound) standing rib roast
coarsely ground black pepper
garlic powder

Most importantly:  Have roast at room temperature.  Dry roast with a paper towel.

Preheat the oven to 375F.  Rub roast with pepper and garlic powder.  Place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up.  Roast for one hour.  Turn off oven.  Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours.  About 30-40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375F and reheat the roast.  Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.

NOTE:  I baked some acorn squash at the same time as I cooked the roast.  It came out perfectly.  Just cut a squash (any squash) in half, drizzle a little olive oil in the baking dish, and cover with aluminum foil.  It's a perfect side dish to the roast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment