Saturday, December 22, 2012

Easiest Ever Chicken and Dumplings

I love chicken and dumplings.  Unfortunately, Jim doesn't share my enthusiasm.  But every once and I while I'll prepare something just for me.  He's a sport, though, and will always join me.  So I was shocked when he commented on just how good this is.  I'm thrilled....now I can confidently make chicken and dumplings and not feel like I'm cheating him out of a good meal!

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to try a pressure cooker so I pick up a digital Cooks Essentials pressure cooker.  And I love it.  I cook a roast or chicken every week for The Girls and with a pressure cooker it cooks in a third of the time.  And anything you cook in it comes out moister and infused with flavor.  The new-generation pressure cookers are so safe and easy.

So this is a Pressure Cooker recipe.  And it's a great excuse to try something new!

EASIEST EVERY CHICKEN and DUMPLINGS (6 servings)

3 Tbsp butter
1 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts and/or thighs
S&P
1 sweet onion, diced
6 cups chicken stock or broth
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 1/2 cups baby carrots
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 3/4 cups Bisquick baking mix
2/3 cup milk (I used 1%)
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used half-and-half)

With the cooker's lid off, heat butter on HIGH or "brown," until melted and sizzling.

Generously season chicken with S&P, place in cooker, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

Add in onion, chicken stock, celery, carrots, thyme, poultry seasoning, and pepper.  Securely lock the pressure cooker's lid and set for 8 minutes on HIGH.

Perform a quick release to release the cooker's pressure.

With the cooker's lid off, set to  HIGH or "brown."  Add in corn kernels and let simmerr.

Meanwhile, whisk together Bisquick baking mix and milk, and drop by the spoonfuls into the pot.  Let dumplings simmer for 8-10 minutes.

Turn off heat, stir in cream and add salt to taste. 

NOTE:  
MAKE IT BETTER: Try mixing 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese into the dumpling mixture in step 6 for ever better dumplings.

Recipe Source:  Great Food Fast by Bob Warden  

No comments:

Post a Comment