Friday, December 28, 2012

Very Easy Mushroom Barley Soup

I had some leftover mushrooms I wanted to use up and I love having soup in the frig, especially during cold weather.  Looking through my vegetables and grains, I found I had enough to make this recipe.  You can either use regular barley or quick-cooking barley.  It's a great meal by itself or with a salad and some crusty bread.  Personally, it makes a fantastic breakfast for me!

VERY EASY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP (6 servings)

1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp minced garlic
1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
6 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup barley
S&P to taste

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic; cook and stir until onions are tender and transparent.  Stir in the mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes.  

Pour in the chicken broth and add barley.  Bring to a boil; then reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer until barley is tender (about 50 minutes for regular barley, 10-15 for quick-cooking barley).  Season with S&P before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment