Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Smoked Turkey and Swiss Salad


Please forgive my absense.  I planned to use my smoker this last weekend to make a couple of new dishes, but I had a smoker-malfunction!  A few things just didn't turn out so I missed a few recipes.  Luckily, a turkey breast I stuck in did come out and this first thing I used it in was this basic turkey/chicken salad.

I put this on a croissant, but honestly, I think this is better simply put on a bed of lettuce.  Outside of the dressing, there are only four ingredients in this salad and each one (in my opinion) should be distinct and I think the croissant added too much of a different taste.    I really couldn't taste the smokiness of the turkey or the flavor of the cheese.  But on it's own......much better!

I pared down the original recipe I found, so you may want to tweak it to your liking.  I really liked the cut of the turkey and the cheese (matchstick-style) instead of the traditional cube-cut.  It really did give it a unique presentation.  The dressing amount was more than I needed, but then I don't heavily dress my salad.

SMOKED TURKEY and SWISS SALAD (2-3 servings)

4 oz (1 cup) smoked turkey breast, cut into 1" x 1/4" strips
2 oz (1/3 cup) Swiss cheese, cut into 1" x 1/4" strips
1/2 cup red seedless grapes, cut in half, lengthwise
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
S&P
shredded lettuce or lettuce leaves

Mix mayo, sour cream, mustard, milk, and S&P to taste.  Set aside.

Mix turkey, cheese, grapes, and almonds.  Toss with dressing.

Recipe Source:  adapted from www.bettycrocker.com


No comments:

Post a Comment