Thursday, July 17, 2014

Greek Chicken and Artichokes


How is everyone doing today?  I don't know where you're at, but here in southeastern Tennessee it is absolutely glorious!!!  We have come into some kind of weird summer "cool snap."  I mowed the lawn this morning and when I did, I felt like it was autumn.  I have slept the last two nights with the windows open!!!   Something unheard of in these parts in the middle of July.  I know it's not going to last, but I am in my element in these fews days of cool weather.  I am officially in my countdown to autumn....tick tock, tick tock.

But back to this recipe.  I ran across it and just happened to have everything it called for on hand.  How great can that be?!!!  Also, it's fast and easy.  I served it with my favorite Greek salad and brown rice on the side.  My only error here, I believe, is I should have added some chopped fresh parsley at the end to add a bit of color.  But that wouldn't have changed the flavor.  This is a great, healthy, easy meal which can be on your table in minutes.

GREEK CHICKEN and ARTICHOKES (4 servings)

3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 1/4 tsp Greek seasoning (found in the baking aisle of your supermarket)
1 Tbsp EVOO
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 oz) water-packed quartered artichokes hearts, drained (I use artichoke bottoms, the "heart" of the artichoke....the brand here is "Reese's."  I had to ask my Publix manager to order them for me)
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Toss chicken with Greek seasoning.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add chicken; cook and stir until lightly browned.  Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.

Stir in tomatoes and artichoke hearts.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Serve with rice.  Top with cheese.

Recipe Source: "Taste of Home" recipe, April/May 2014, p. 30

No comments:

Post a Comment