Sunday, February 22, 2015

Lasagna Soup Insalata





Honestly, if Publix doesn't quit demo-ing such wonderful recipes, I'm never going to get around to my cookbook project!

I was in on Friday and just happened to catch a tasting of this soup.  We've had such a mild winter this year that I just haven't done many soups, my favorite thing to cook. Well, I took my sample with me and halfway home I almost turned around to buy all the stuff I needed to make it, but decided not to.  Big Mistake!  I thought about it all night and Saturday morning, with the potential of icy roads, I headed off to Publix to pick everything up!

As with all Publix's recipes, these are quick and easy recipes with easily-found ingredients. I've added photos of the pasta and greens I used, but you could certainly use another type of pasta, like tortellini.  Also, Publix sells their own brand of this Baby Kale salad, but you could simply chop up some kale to add to the soup (but don't skip on the the garlic vinaigrette, it's a nice touch).

Serve with on a cold night with a crusty baguette or artisan bread and you are set!

LASAGNA SOUP INSALATA (6 servings)

1 lb mild or hot Italian sausage (regular or turkey), casing removed 
1/2 cup baby-cut carrots, coarsely chopped
8 oz trinity mix (diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
1 (24 oz) pasta sauce
1 (32 oz) carton unsalted chicken broth
1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
1 (9 oz) package mini-cheese ravioli
1 (8 oz) baby kale salad kit (baby greens, fontina cheese, dried flatbread, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic vinaigrette) or chopped kale and garlic vinaigrette, other ingredients optional
6 Tbsp part-skim ricotta cheese

Preheat large stockpot 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat.  Brown sausage 5-7 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains.  Chop carrots. Stir carrots and trinity mix into sausage; cook and stir 4 minutes.

Reduce heat on pan to medium-low.  Stir in pasta sauce, broth, and pesto; simmer 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until hot.

Stir pasta into soup; cook 4-5 minutes or until pasta is tender.  Meanwhile, chop salad greens.

Divide soup into serving bowls.  Top each bowl with 1/3 cup salad greens, then sprinkle with salad toppings, and drizzle with dressing.  Finish with 1 Tbsp ricotta cheese and serve.

Recipe Source:  www.publix.com/aprons




No comments:

Post a Comment