Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Cauliflower Broccoli Salad


This is a salad my mother started making decades ago.  It became a staple in our house.  I continued to the tradition and make it for years and then it kind of got lost in the dust of some many new recipes.

Thumbing through one of my original recipe files, I ran across it after many years.  It was the first time I had ever used tarragon vinegar and I felt so adventurous (remember, Oklahoma, 1960's/1970's).  Now this is one of those fly-by-the-seat-of-your pants.....not really a recipe (except for the dressing).

When I made it the other day, I used about a quarter head of cauliflower but into bite-size florets, an equal amount of bite-sized broccoli florets, a handful of baby carrots (I like them quartered lengthwise), and sliced green onions to taste.

I'm giving the full dressing recipe, but for the amount of vegetables I used the other day, I only made a quarter of the dressing, and used even less.

One more thing......Mom always used raw vegetables.  But the last few times I made it, I just barely steamed them (about 90 seconds in the microwave steamer), so they were still very crisp-tender....taking the edge out of that raw flavor.

CAULIFLOWER BROCCOLI SALAD

Cauliflower, but into bite-sized florets
Broccoli, an equal amount of the cauliflower, also cut/torn into bite-sized florets
Carrots slices or baby carrots quartered, lengthwise
Sliced green onions

Salad Dressing:
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
1/3 cup sugar

Whisk dressing ingredients together.  Pour desired amount over vegetables.  Chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment