Monday, November 9, 2015

Oven Chicken Cordon Bleu


It's been years since I've made Chicken Cordon Bleu.  Seems to me I remember it being a lot of work and a bit messy.  But I did love it and when I ran across this recipe, I thought I'd try it again.

I actually had to re-read the recipe because this seemed to simple.  I felt like I must have missed a step, but I hadn't.  I was able to put the entree together in minutes.  But don't think quick equals ok or so-so.  This is a wonderful dish.

One note: to get that crunchy topping, but be careful when spraying the Panko with cooking spray.  If you spray it with a heavy finger, the crumbs will blow away.  Cup your hand around the chicken and lightly spray to keep them on the chicken.  Also, you may need to turn the broiler on for a minute or so to get that browned topping.

OVEN CHICKEN CORDON BLEU (6 servings)

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 oz each)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
6 slices deli ham
3 slices Swiss cheese, halved
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
cooking spray

Sauce:
2 Tbsp AP flour
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 375F.  Sprinkle chicken with S&P; arrange in a greased 13x9" baking dish.

Top each with 1 slice ham and 1/2 slice cheese, folding ham in half and covering chicken as much as possible.  Sprinkle with bread crumbs.  Carefully spritz crumbs with cooking spray, keeping crumbs in place.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165F (turn broil on for a minute or so if crumbs need more browning.)

For sauce, in a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth.  Bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.

Reduce to medium heat.  Stir in wine and shredded cheese, cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened and bubbly.  Stir in S&P.  Keep warm over low heat until ready to serve.  Serve sauce with chicken.

Recipe Source: Taste of Home magazine, April/May 2015, p. 32

No comments:

Post a Comment