Monday, November 14, 2011

Granola


I have been wanting to try making granola for some time but could never find a recipe that sounded good to me.  I wanted the crumbly kind, not the bars.  I ran across this on Sandy Gluck's blog (she hosts a show on Martha Stewart radio) and it included exactly the stuff I wanted in my granola.  And let me tell you, this stuff is addictive.  I could have easily sat down and eaten the entire batch in one sitting.  I did learn from Sandy that if you want a crunchier granola, use the quick oats.   They are more processed and tend to crisp up better than the old-fashioned oats.  This is a wonderful, easy, very tasty snack to keep on hand.

GRANOLA

3 cups oats
1 1/2 cups nuts (I used pecans and hulled pumpkin seeds.....use what you like)
1/2 cup Craisins
1/4 cup chia seeds, optional
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Preheat oven to 300.  On a rimmed nonstick baking sheet, stir together the oats and nuts.  Bake until fragrant, stirring once or twice, about 25 minutes.  Remove from the oven and raise the temp to 350.

Meanwhile, in a measuring cup, stir together the maple syrup, oil, vanilla, and salt.  Add the Craisins and chia seeds (if using) to the oat mixture.  Pour the syrup mixture over the oat mixture and stir to coat.  Return to oven and bake, stirring once until the oats are crisp, about 15 minutes.  Remove, cool to room temp, then transfer to an airtight container.  The granola will keep for several weeks at cool room temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment