Saturday, September 29, 2012

Carrabba's Tomato Basil Soup

Thank goodness I found this recipe!  I am constantly trying different tomato soup recipes.  Some are definitely better than others, and let me tell you!  This is absolutely in the Top Three.  I believe it is just like Carrabba's, but it I had them several days apart so I can't state that with 100% assurance.  I know the texture is just like the cup we had there.  It is delicious, so much so that I ate all of the leftovers for breakfast the next day.  And although the recipe doesn't call for it, I did sprinkle some with a bit of Parmesan which just sent this delicious soup over the edge.  I think I'll have to double the recipe next time.

CARRABBA'S TOMATO BASIL SOUP  (4-6 servings)

2 (14 oz) cans of fire-roasted tomatoes
5 minced garlic cloves (5 tsp), divided
1 yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
15-20 fresh basil leaves, rolled and cut into a chiffonade
S&P to taste
Crushed red pepper to taste
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat.  Add onion and cook until translucent.

Add four cloves (4 tsp) of minced garlic to the pan with onion.  Saute the garlic and onion for about five minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.

Add both cans of tomatoes, including juice, to the pot and stir.  Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes, stirring the contents every few minutes.

Add the chicken broth and cream to the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes.  The soup should thicken as it reduces.  If, after 10 minutes, the soup is still too think, allow it to reduce further until it reaches the desired consistency.  Stir occasionally to keep the soup from sticking.

Add the fresh basil, S&P.  Add crushed red pepper to taste.  Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes longer.

Pour or ladle carefully into the blender.  Add the reserved (1 clove or 1 tsp) minced garlic and puree until smooth.  Pour back into the pot and serve.

NOTE:  I made the soup up until the last direction to let it come to room temperature and then pureed it.  Safer for someone like me!  You can easily made this soup even the day or two before, blend it, and then reheat the amount you're going to be using.

Recipe Source: www.ehow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment