Thursday, December 5, 2013

Italian-Seasoned Turkey Chili


OK....we all have our favorite chili recipes.  Or do we?  I don't know about you, but I generally just kinda toss whatever I have in the frig into my chili.  Maybe I should call this produce drawer chili.

I had some sweet peppers and onions that needed to find a home.  I generally use about half ground turkey breast and half turkey Italian sausage.  But when I went to the store the other day, I found something new:  Italian Seasoned Ground Turkey.  Hmmm.....two birds with one stone?

So I went ahead and picked up some Italian-style diced tomatoes.   And then I used what I had on hand.  And this is the result.  A pretty darned good chili.  The ingredients below are simply what I had on hand....use what you have/like.  Chili is one of the most versatile winter dishes to have on hand, and it freezes great.  So you'll always have a wonderful dinner or snack.  I love it with cheese and sour cream.  Use tortillas for a dip.  Or the ever-wonderful Frito Chili Pie.  Or........

Make ahead if you can.  Chili is always better the second day.

ITALIAN-SEASONED TURKEY CHILI (makes about 6-8 servings)

1 Tbsp EVOO
1 pound Italian-seasoned ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
1 leek (white part), chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, light or dark, your preference
1 (15 oz) can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes
1/2 cup V8 juice
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp chili powder
crushed red pepper, to taste
S&P to taste
1/4 cup red wine
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro

Toppings (optional)
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced green onions
chopped sweet onions
corn chips
tortilla chips
hot sauce
cilantro


Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan.  When hot, add onion, leek, garlic, and peppers.  Cook until wilted, about 10 minutes.  Add turkey.  Cook until no longer pink, another 10 minutes or so.

Add tomatoes, V8, cocoa powder, and seasonings.  Let simmer about 15 minutes.  Add wine and cilantro, simmer another 10 minutes or so. 

Top with any toppings you like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment