Friday, December 6, 2013

Pizzelles


Have you ever had a pizzelle?  I just love these little cookies.  They're not too sweet and you can vary the flavor.  I tend to prefer the anise cookies, but I went with an almond recipe this time, I think it would appeal to more people.

Obviously, you do need special equipment to make these: a pizzelle maker.  I think I bought mine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and they run around $40-50.  It's like a little waffle iron and makes two cookies at a time.  I love trying to eat around the design without breaking the pattern (those of you who separate their M&Ms into different colors and eat the ugly colors first know what I mean!)

I generally just make these during the holidays and package up for gifts, although they're a great year-around treat. 

PIZZELLES (makes about 3 dozen)

1 3/4 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp almond extract
1 Tbsp orange zest
1 stick butter, melted
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting, optional

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.

Beat the eggs, sugar, almond extract, and zest together in another medium-sized bowl.

Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture.  Stir in the melted butter.

Preheat your pizzelle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Drop a scant Tablespoon of the batter onto each patterned cookie grid on the bottom plate of the iron.  Close the iron and cook the pizzelles, 30-60 seconds depending on how crisp you like them.

Remove the cookies from the iron andp lace them on a rack to cool. When you're ready to serve, dust with the confectioners sugar, if desired.

Recipe Source: www.qvc.com/pizzelles.content.html

No comments:

Post a Comment