Saturday, April 12, 2014

Summer's Orange Salad


I posted this recipe a few years ago, but it is such a staple in my house during the summer, I had to share this with new viewers.  I make this once or twice a week.  It is a perfect accompaninement to just about any entree, especially simple grilled proteins.

The almonds and the dressing will keep for a long, long time (I keep my sugared almonds in the freezer and they are good for at least a year), as is the dressing (I just made a salad with dressing I made last summer).  Once you have these two items in storage, all you need is some romaine, red onion, and mandarin oranges.  Fast and easy and a great side salad to almost any summer dinner.

SUMMER'S ORANGE SALAD (2 servings)

Almonds:
6 oz slivered almonds
4-5 Tbsp sugar

Dressing:
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/3 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp Good Seasons Dry Italian Dressing mix
3/4 to 1 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Salad:
sugared almonds
salad dressing
1 small head romaine lettuce
thinly sliced red onion, to taste
mandarin oranges, enough to garnish to your preference

For the almonds:
Heat a large non-stick saute pan on medium heat (I used #6 on my smooth-top stove) until hot.  Add almonds and sugar and stir continuously until sugar melts.  I poured mine out on some Reynold's Non-Stick Aluminum Paper (you can use regular aluminum foil, sprayed with cooking spray).  Let cool.  You will not use all of the almonds in this salad for two.  Put remaining almonds in a humidity-free container and store in freezer.

Combine salad dressing ingredients.  Mix well.

Toss diced lettuce, onions, oranges, and almonds.  Dress with dressing.  If using as an entree salad, slice grilled chicken and fan out. 

Serve as a side salad or entree salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment