Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Tuna and Hummus Sandwich


Last week I caught an episode of "The Barefoot Contessa."  I have to admit, while I usually liked her shows, I quit watching her after the whole "Make-a-Wish Foundation" gaffe (a young boy had asked twice to visit her on set and she turned him down both times).  But as I was flipping through the channels, I caught the end and saw this very different sandwich.  I looked at the recipe on-line and decided to try it.

A couple of things:  You could absolutely use your own tuna salad recipe and if you don't want to make your own hummus, buy some prepared hummus in your favorite flavor at your market.  Also, she calls for sourdough bread (which would be wonderful), but I had some Panera whole-grain bread which I used.  I would also suggest toasting the bread because there is quite a bit of heft to this open-faced sandwich and I just don't think untoasted bread would hold it very well.

Also, I liked a bit more hummus than tuna since the taste of tuna, even albacore, can be pretty strong.  Lastly, do not omit the radishes!!!  Not only do they give a lovely presentation, but a nice crunch and peppery taste.

TUNA and HUMMUS SANDWICHES

Tuna Salad:
14 oz jarred or canned Italian tuna in olive oil
1/4 cup minced celery
2 Tbsp minced yellow onion
2 Tbsp minced cornichons
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp mayo
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together.  Let stand in refrigerator for several hours to allow the flavors to meld.

Hummus:
1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
1/3 cup tahini or sesame paste
4 tsp minced garlic
6 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (start with 3 Tbsp and add more to your liking)
8 dashes hot sauce
2 tsp kosher salt (start with 1 tsp and add more to your liking)


Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until desired smoothness.  Add additional reserved chickpea liquid and more lemon juice if necessary.  Adjust lemon and salt to your taste.

Sourdough bread, halved and sliced 1/2" thick
fresh radishes, sliced

To assemble sandwich:

Toast (if desired) bread of choice.  Spread with hummus, then tuna salad, and top with sliced radishes.

Recipe Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tuna-and-hummus-sandwiches-recipe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment