Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cheesy Zucchini Rice


Do you remember that broccoli cheese casserole we all used to make?  I loved that stuff!  Instant rice, frozen broccoli, and Velveeta!  I haven't made it in years, well, just because.  So when I ran across this recipe that was reminescent of that but was a bit updated and maybe a bit healthier, I couldn't wait to try it.

It is a much lighter version that the oldie-but-goodie I remember.   A great side dish with a tad less guilt!  The recipe below is how I found it, but next time I will probably go a bit heavier on the zucchini (I used 1 medium squash and had an extra small one which I should have added).  It was great right off of the stove top, but with the leftovers I warmed up the next day, I added a bit of lemon zest which really brought up the flavor (I don't think that would have been necessary with the fresh batch, but the reheated rice needed a bit of help).  Try it or not, it's great either way.


CHEESY ZUCCHINI RICE (4 servings)

1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 medium or 2 small zucchini, grated (don't peel....you'll want the color)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
S&P to taste
1-2 Tbsp milk, if needed
lemon zest, optional

In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and chicken broth.  Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and let the rice simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the grated zucchini, cheese, and garlic powder.  Add S&P to taste (unless you are on a sodium-restricted diet, don't miss this step...it needs a bit of salt to boost the flavor).  Add a Tbsp or so of milk to adjust the texture if neded.  Stir in lemon zest if using (start with just a small amount and add more if desired).  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment