Friday, August 22, 2014

Spicy Angel Hair Pasta Salad


I hope you'll forgive the lacks of posts of late.  I've been dealing with stinky Skunk-Dog and climbing temps and stifling humidity.  I think I should be back on track and am looking forward to getting back in the kitchen.  I can only hope this heat breaks soon but I really can't complain.  It's been a relatively easy summer here in SE Tennessee and, well, it is mid-August.  I'm so ready for some soups and chili.  I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But back to this super-easy pasta salad I picked up at Fresh Market the other day.  Every once in a while as I'm passing the deli case in the market and am so hungry I could eat my own shoe, I'll pick up a small container of some salad to help me get home.  This is a knock-off of what they created, nice because you can customize it to your own tastes.  For example, I added more tomatoes, cheese, and basil than they used in theirs.  I also used chopped, marinated garlic cloves (I've been looking for a good MGC for years...the ones I've tried weren't crunchy.  But I found some really crisp ones in the olive bar at EarthFare and they were perfect for this salad.....but I would simply use minced fresh garlic in lieu if I hadn't been lucky enough to find these).

So, this is my interpretation of a nice pasta salad to have around as a snack.  All amounts are absolutely variable....tweak it to your own preference.

SPICY ANGEL HAIR PASTA SALAD (2-4 servings)

4 oz angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions
1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced small
2 small to medium Roma tomatoes
2 oz (3 Tbsp) small diced Asiago cheese
1 tsp minced fresh garlic, or 4-6 chopped marinated garlic cloves
6 large basil leaves (3 Tbsp)
1-2 green onions, chopped
2 tsp EVOO, or more to taste
seasoned salt, to taste

Cut with a knife or scissors the cooked pasta (for easier eating).  Add the next 6 ingredients (jalapeno through onions).  Fold ingredients together.  Add olive oil and salt to taste.  Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment