Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Summer Orange Salad


Oops-a-mickey!  Camera problems.....I loaded a couple of new photos and somehow they didn't transfer to my photo gallery.  I have just a couple of more go-to summer dishes that I rely on all season (over and over again!) to post then I can get back to some new stuff.

This is a fabulous side salad to serve with just about any grilled dish.....fish, chicken, or whatever you like.  It's a really simple, few ingredient salad which I always have everything on hand (make the almonds ahead of time....enough to last for the summer....and keep them in the freezer.  The dressing will also keep for months.)  I serve this at least once a week during these dreadful hot, humid summer nights.  Keep a can of mandarins on hand and you should be set to go.

SUMMER ORANGE SALAD (serves 2)

Salad:
1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
thinly sliced or chopped red onion (to taste)
mandarin oranges (I had an 11 oz can, but only used half and saved the other half in the frig for the next batch)

Sugared Almonds:
6 oz slivered almonds
4-5 Tbsp sugar

Dressing:
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (or use the juice from the can of mandarin oranges)
1 Tbsp Good Seasonings Dry Italian Dressing mix
3/4 to 1 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Heat a large non-stick saute pan on medium heat (I used #6 on my smooth-top stove) until hot.  Add almonds and sugar and stir continuously until sugar melts.  I poured mine onto some Reynold's Non-Stick Aluminum Paper (you can use regular aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray).  Let cool.  You will not need all of these almonds for 2 servings.  Put remaining almonds in a humidity-free container and store in the fridge or freezer.

Combine dressing ingredients.  Whisk or shake until combined.

Toss diced lettuce, onions, oranges, and almonds.  Dress with dressing.  If using as an entree salad, sliced some grilled chicken and fan it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment