Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Luau Chicken Salad


There is a relatively new regional chain restaurant in Chattanooga called the "Chicken Salad Chick."  Almost their entire menu is different types of chicken salad (and being in the south they had to add a pimiento cheese sandwich/salad!)  One of their choices was the Luau Lydia chicken salad.  It was really tasty and really easy to replicate.   Simple, simple, simple.  Chicken, pineapple, pine nuts, and mayo.

I happened to have some smoked turkey breast in my freezer (one more down!!!) to use.  So you could use turkey or chicken.  I put the pieces in a mini food processor (one of the best $10 Black & Decker kitchen gadgets you can get at Wal-Mart) and processed it until it was shredded.

I had pineapple chunks on hand which I chopped up.  You could use crushed pineapple or tidbits.....depends on how fine you like the pineapple.  Also, I used macadamia chips I found in the baking aisle, but you could just as easily roughly chop up whole macs to the size you like.  I left out S&P....I just didn't feel it needed it.  Add it if you like.

I served this with that fan-tabulous Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup (http://thefultongirls.blogspot.com/2014/10/creamy-roasted-mushroom-and-brie-soup.html 10/17/14 post).  Serve it on lettuce or as a sandwich on your favorite bread.

LUAU CHICKEN SALAD (2-4 servings)

1 1/2 cups shredded chicken or (smoked) turkey
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1/4 cup mayo
2 Tbsp pineapple juice
S&P, optional

Whisk mayo and pineapple juice together.

Mix chicken, pineapple, and macadamia nuts together.  Dress with pineapple mayo.   Add S&P if using. Garnish with additional nuts, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment