Sunday, May 31, 2015

Clean-Out-the-Freezer Lasagna


You guys would be so proud of me!  I am getting so proficient at whittling down the contents of my freezer that I now have plenty of room to fill 'er right up (just kidding, Sweetheart!)

So, I had some ground turkey, ricotta cheese, and jarred pasta sauce in the freezer (and some no-bake lasagna noodles in the pantry) that needed a home.  So I took this "Traditional Lasagna" recipe and tweaked it a bit to enable me to use what I had.  I've listed the recipe as originally published, but I substituted  half ground turkey and half sweet Italian turkey sausage for the ground beef.  Also, this recipe calls for cottage cheese and ricotta, but I only had ricotta so I doubled the amount of ricotta and it worked out just fine.

CLEAN-OUT-THE-FREEZER LASAGNA (8 servings)

1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (4.5 oz) can mushrooms, drained
1 (28 oz) jar spaghetti/pasta sauce
1 (16 oz) package cottage cheese
1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs 
1 (16 oz) package lasagna noodles
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
chopped parsley for garnish, optional

Preheat oven to 350F (175C).

In a large skillet, cook and stir ground beef until brown.  Add mushrooms and onions; saute until onions are transparent.  Stir in pasta sauce, and heat through.

In a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan, and eggs.

Spread a thin layer of them meat sauce in the bottom of a 13x9" pan.  Layer with uncooked lasagna noodles, cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, and meat sauce.  Continue layering until all ingredients are used, reserving half of the mozzarella.  Bake (covered) for an additional 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, and let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.  Sprinkle with parsley if using.

Recipe Source:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Lasagna-I/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=easy%20lasagna%20i&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

No comments:

Post a Comment