Friday, June 19, 2015

Roasted Shrimp Salad


This is probably my #1 favorite (and most often prepared) summer entree salad.  I've been making this for years and it's one of the few things I look forward to in the summer.  I first ran across this Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) recipe when I stumbled on an article about roasting shrimp.  Since then, it's about the only way I'll cook shrimp (outside of a sauteeing recipe).  Roasting the shrimp gives it so much flavor and only takes a couple of minutes (be sure to watch it....you don't want overcooked, rubbery shrimp).

Also, the original recipe calls for using freshly squeezed orange juice and zest, but you could probably use lemon or lime.  I've never tried it, though, because I just love the orange flavor with the shrimp.  And I'm really lucky this year, my herb garden is growing like wild fire!  I've never had this much dill and I'm lovin' it.

I've reduced the original recipe down to serve just two, but you can see the original recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-shrimp-salad-recipe.html.  Also, I used smaller 26/30 shrimp taking about 3 minutes to roast.  If you used a different sized shrimp, be sure to adjust the cooking times accordingly.  And I use less than 1/2 of the original dressing, so I've cut the mayo amount in half.

ROASTED SHRIMP SALAD (2 servings)

12 oz uncooked shrimp, shelled (I use 26/30 size)
EVOO
Black pepper
1/4 cup good mayo
1/2 Tbsp orange zest, about 1 orange
1 Tbsp freshly-squeezed orange juice (zest the orange first, and then juice)
1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
1 Tbsp capers, drained
1 Tbsp small-minced red onion

Preheat oven to 400F.

Peel and devein the shrimp.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with pepper (I omit the salt because the shrimp is salty enough for me).

Place them on a sheet pan (cover with aluminum foil for easier cleanup).  Depending on size, roast the shrimp (26/30s take about 5 minutes....larger 12/15s may take 6-8 minutes, smaller shrimp would take less time.  Shrimp should be pink.).  Allow to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, zest, juice, vinegar and S&P to taste.  Add cooled shrimp and toss.  Add the dill, capers, and red onion and toss well.  The flavors will improve if you allow the salad to sit at room temp for 30 minutes.  Otherwise, chill then serve at room temp.

Recipe Source:  Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa


No comments:

Post a Comment