It has been a while since I'd made any fish/shrimp tacos (it seems to be more of a warm weather dish for me). But if they're on the menu at any restaurant I go to, I usually order them. So I guess I was having a bit of shrimp taco withdrawal when I ran across this new recipe.
Please don't let the directions seem daunting. You can make everything ahead and assemble in minutes. I served it with my favorite Spanish rice (see post https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8514616033260075861#editor/target=post;postID=5674076844350843074;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=6;src=link) from Joy of Cooking and some seasoned black beans.
One note: When making tacos, I generally use both a hard shell and a soft shell, "glued" together using refried beans (the soft shell going on the outside to catch the crumbly hard shell!). This time I just used the soft shell. It was a bit messy and hard to hold together. Use whichever you're most comfortable with.
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Tacos w/Roasted Corn Slaw and Roasted Jalapeno Crema (4 servings)
- 2+ jalapeno peppers, cut in half and seeded
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted jalapeno crema
FOR THE ROASTED JALAPENO CREMA:
FOR THE ROASTED CORN SLAW:
FOR THE TACOS:
- 1 pound cilantro lime shrimp
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 large avocado, diced
- cilantro to taste
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down, place the baking sheet on the top shelf in the oven and broil until the outer layer of the skin has blistered and blackened, about 8-14 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a sealable container, seal and let them cool until you can handle them, about 10 minutes, before pinching off the skins.
- Puree everything.
FOR THE ROASTED JALAPENO CREMA
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet to medium-high, add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, about 6-8 minutes, mix it up, let it char again and set aside.
- Mix everything.
- Assemble the tacos with slaw on the bottom, topped with avocado, shrimp and a dollop of roasted jalapeno crema along with a garnish of cilantro.
FOR THE ROASTED CORN SLAW
FOR THE TACOS:
Recipe Source: www.closetcooking.com