Sunday, February 28, 2016

Hominy and Cheese Casserole


I tend to make a lot of Mexican/TexMex meal and usually serve the entree with rice and beans.  And as much as I love both of these dishes, it's nice to have something a bit difference every once in a while.  

I found this at my go-to website for recipes, AllRecipes.com.  I hadn't had hominy since I was a little girl and forgotten just how much I like it.  I like it all by itself, but this kicked-up version was something else!  And so simple.  Just a handful of ingredients is a great combination.  Try it if you're looking for a new side dish (I served this with some chorizo and eggs and a vegetable saute of zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, onions, and garlic).

HOMINY and CHEESE CASSERLE (4 servings)

1/4 cup diced onion
1 fresh garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tsp)
1/2 (7 oz) can chopped green chilies
4 oz cream cheese (regular, reduced-fat, or fat-free)
1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 (15.5 oz) can white hominy, drained

Preheat oven to 350F.

Coat the bottom of a medium skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.  Add the diced onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onions are soft and translucent.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and mix in the green chilies; cook for one minute.  Stir in the cream cheese until fully melted.  Remove the skillet from the heat.

Place the Cheddar, hominy, and cream cheese mixture in a 1 quart casserole; stir until well-combined.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-35  minutes.  Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe Source:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/142655/hominy-and-cheese-casserole/

No comments:

Post a Comment