Friday, February 5, 2016

Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses

These potatoes a staple in all of our holiday meals.  Absolutely delicious, I mean really, really, really delicious.  I first tasted them at a demo at Central Market in San Antonio.  And since then, it's definitely in our Top Three favorite dishes.  Originally posted April 10, 2011.




This is the potato dish Jim most often requests. This was a demo dish at Central Market when we lived in San Antonio and I cannot tell you how many times I've made it, and how absolutely delicious it is! We have it with just about every basic, traditional, holiday meal: Chrismas, Thanksgiving, Easter. Turkey or ham. I roasted a turkey yesterday so had a great excuse to make another dish of these yummy, yummy potatoes. I'm going to list the recipe as I received it from CM (serves 12, using a 13x9 dish), but I always half the recipe and use an 8x8 baking dish. Just right for the two of us and company, or to have leftovers. It is a total of about 1 1/2 hours of baking time.


SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH THREE CHEESES


3/4 c extra-sharp cheddar, 4 oz

3/4 c bleu cheese or gorgonzola, 2 oz

1/3 c grated Parm, 1 1/4 oz

4 lb russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4" rounds (I use a mandolin)

1 1/2 tsp salt (I use much less, due to the saltiness of the cheeses, I just sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt)

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

3 Tbsp flour

4 Tbsp butter

3 c milk (skim, lo-fat, whole....I've used them all with great results)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter (I use cooking spray) 13x9 glass baking dish. Mix cheeses in a small bowl.


Arrange half of the potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sprinkle onion over, then flour. Dot with 2 Tbsp butter. Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over. Top with the remaining potatoes, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 2 Tbsp butter. Reserve remaining cheeses.


Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan (I microwave until just boiling). Pour milk over potatoes (milk will not cover completely). Cover tightly with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil (liquids in dish may look curdled). Sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheese mixture. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is a deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment