Saturday, April 2, 2016

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

Chocolate Chiffon Cake Recipe

Once again, not my photo.  I made this cake for new neighbors and forgot to take a picture.  What a shame.  It had come out beautifully, a big feat for me as my cakes always seem to have a kind of divet out of it that always needs to be covered by icing.  I also didn't get to taste it, but I will say the batter was mighty tasty.

I also finished a bit differently.  I covered half of the top of the cake with a paper towel and simply sprinkled powdered sugar over that half.  I finished the other half with the glaze (I don't like too much sweetness and generally leave it off or just use a small drizzle of glaze).  Then I sprinkle fresh raspberries around the edges and on top.  It was so pretty!

Chiffon cakes take a tad bit more time, basically because it's imperative that you sift the flour mixture multiple times (I did it 5 times) to make sure you have a light and airy batter.  Hence the "chiffon."

CHOCOLATE CHIFFON CAKE (makes a 10" tube-pan cake)

7 eggs, separated
1/2 cup baking cocoa
3/4 cup boiling water
1 3/4 cup cake flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Glaze:
1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 Tbsp hot water
chopped nuts or fresh raspberries, optional

Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  In a bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes.  In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  Sift several times. 

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, and vanilla.  Add to dry ingredients along with the cocoa mixture.  Beat until well blended. 

In another bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form.  Gradually fold into egg yolk mixture.

Gently spoon batter into a 10" tube pan.  Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets.  Bake on the lowest rack at 325F for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.  Immediately invert pan (I hung mine on a wine bottle); cool completely.  Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan.  Invert cake onto a serving plate (the bottom or flat side will now be on top).

For glaze melt butter in a saucepan.  Remove from heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, chocolate, vanilla, and water to desired consistency.  Drizzle over cake.  Sprinkle with nuts or raspberries, if desired. 



No comments:

Post a Comment