Sunday, May 22, 2016

Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup with Blue Cheese


I don't know how I ran across this recipe but I'm so glad I did!  I've said before that I'm really bad about thinking outside of the box.  Never in a million years would I have come up with the idea of adding blue cheese to this garden soup.

I started to follow the recipe found at Food.com, but changed a few things.  The main change was to omit the half-and-half.  Don't get me wrong, it would still be fabulous, but leave it out and you have an extra-healthy, low-fat, high-fiber soup.  It was so tasty that I just left the H&H out.  Also, the original recipe calls to blend the soup once the vegetables are tender.  I like it chunky, so I left out the step.  In both instances, your choice.  But taste it to the last direction I've posted and then  you decide if you want to add the dairy.

CREAMY BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER SOUP with BLUE CHEESE (4 servings)

2 Tbsp butter
1 shallot, chopped
2 Tbsp flour
2 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced medium
1/2 bunch broccoli, stems removed and broken into florets
1/2 head cauliflower, broken into florets
about 6 baby carrots or one medium carrot, sliced or chopped
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper, or to taste
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
salt to taste
4 oz crumbled blue cheese
1/4 shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup half-and-half, optional

In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter; add shallot and saute for 3 minutes.  Add flour and whisk briefly to form a roux.  Slowly whisk in broth.

Add potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and spices.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all veggies are tender.

Optional: Using an immersion blender/blender/food processor; puree to desired consistency.

Return to pot over medium-low heat and stir in cheese (and half-and-half, if using).  Stir until cheese is melted.  Serve.

Recipe Adapted from: http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-broccoli-cauliflower-soup-with-blue-cheese-156415

No comments:

Post a Comment