Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Root Beer Float Cookies with BAD photo!

OK OK OK, please forgive me for this awful photo. But I needed to add it because Jim took the cookies to work so I have no more to photograph. And this was really an interesting cookie. I've never had anything like it. A bit of a quandry....do I like it, is it just so different that it's questionable, or is it just like one of those really good movies.....it just lingers in the back of your mind until you just have to see/eat it again? I have to make another batch. I have never in my life had a cookie using root beer extract. And it does taste like root beer! Never a flavor I would have expected in a cookie. The first bite I took was one just out of the oven, unfrosted, and it was, well....a bit "earthy." I don't have a big sweet tooth and generally shy away from glazes on cakes and especially cookies. Glazes are just way too sweet for me. But this time it worked. These cookies need this glaze to bring them back to the "cookie realm." They are definitely a moist cookie, not chewy or crunchy. Like eating a bite of cake. And there is very little spread when baking, so you can put 12 1" dough-balls on a standard-sized baking sheet with no problem. Let them cool completely on a rack before icing. And then smile after your first bite! A note about root beer extract. I could not find it in any of the grocery/specialty stores in my area. I ended up ordering it on-line at www.cooksvanilla.com. Also, since reading about the Perfect Chocolate Chip cookies a few weeks ago (see previous post), plan on refrigerating the dough for at least a couple of hours, overnight wouldn't hurt. ROOT BEER FLOAT COOKIES

3/4 cup sugar


3/4 cup brown sugar


1 cup butter, room temp


1/4 cup milk


2 eggs


2 Tbsp root beer concentrate or extract


4 cups flour


pinch salt


1 tsp baking soda


Cream together sugars and butter until light and fluffy. Add milks, eggs, and root beer extract. Stir to combine. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Refrigerate dough until firm, then roll into 1" balls (my scale weighed them at 20 grams). Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper, or you could use a Silpat mat). Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes (my oven needed 10 minutes). Remove from oven and cool completely before applying glaze.


CREAM GLAZE


1 cup powdered sugar


2-3 Tbsp cream or half-and-half


1/2 tsp vanilla


Whisk all ingredients until lumps are gone. Ice cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment