Thursday, April 14, 2011

Shrimp Pie

OK, it's official! Jim is going to have to take over the photography in this home! I'm going to have to make this again and soon so I can replace this photo. However, I am going ahead and posting this awful picture because this recipe is just too good not to share. I love shrimp and I love dill and I just love this pie. I ran across this recipe in a Cooking Light recipe years ago and it's become a bit of staple around here. This is a great summer dish and I usually serve it simply with just a fruit salad. And since I never eat the crust, it is an incredibly low-fat/calorie dish. Now a note about the crust. I cannot make a pie crust. There, I said it. I have tried and tried and tried. No more. I accept the fact that I am pie-crust-impaired. And I never cared for the little frozen ones in the aluminum pans. Someone told me that the refrigerated ones were really good for not-homemade. So I tried those. Well, the flavor may be better than the frozen ones, but not only can I not make a pie crust, I also don't have the skills to make the little crimped edges. I don't understand this handicap, I just accept it. But, since I don't ever eat the crust, I may go back to the frozen ones so at least it will look better. This recipe does include a crust recipe which is listed below. SHRIMP PIE *Pastry: *1 1/4 cups flour *1/4 cup semolina or pasta flour *2 tsp sugar *1/4 tsp salt *2 Tbsp butter, chilled and cut into small pieces *1 Tbsp vegetable shortening *1/4 cup ice water *1/2 tsp cider vinegar *Cooking spray Filling: *12 oz uncooked shrimp (any size except those tiny salad shrimp), peeled and chopped *1/4 cup (2 oz) fat-free cream cheese, softened *1/2 cup egg substitute, divided 2 tsp flour *1 cup evaporated fat-free milk *1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded Havarti or fontina cheese (if you find Havarti w/dill, try this!) *1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (I like a lot of dill, I used 2 1/2 Tbsp) *1/8 tsp salt Preheat oven to 375. To prepare pastry, lightly spoon 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and semolina flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl; cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine ice water and vinegar in a small bowl. Add water mixture to flour mixture; toss with a fork until mixture is well combined (mixture will be crumbly and will not form a ball). Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9" deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 5 minutes (I would probably bake this a bit longer, maybe 10 minutes). Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack. To prepare filling, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add the shrimp; cook one minute or until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat. Combine cream cheese and 1/4 cup egg substitute in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add 2 tsp flour; beat 1 more minute. Beat in remaining egg substitute and milk. Add shrimp, Havarti cheese, dill, and 1/8 tsp salt, stirring well. Pour shrimp mixture into prepared crust (if using store-bought crust, still bake it for about 5 minutes). Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until set. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

No comments:

Post a Comment