Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Old-Fashioned Foods Ham Salad


OK, you guys probably all know this salad.  I'm pretty sure it's found in any church cookbook and has probably been in your grandmother's recipe box.  Funny, it's something my mom never made it and I don't remember that first time I ever had it.  Probably out of a grocery store deli.  I don't know why I like it, but every once in a while, I just need a fix!

This recipe came from a restaurant I used to work at in Red Wing, MN.  I'll list the recipe as it came to me originally, and in parentheses I'll put the amounts I used.  Also, I used the Barilla brand of small penne (Piccolini?)  I like a LOT less dressing than this recipe calls for, but use the full amount of the rest of the dressing ingredients, especially the white pepper.....adds some good heat to the dressing.

OLD-FASHIONED FOODS HAM SALAD

1/2# uncooked pasta (I like Barilla Piccolini "Mini Penne")
4 oz diced ham
4 oz diced cheddar cheese
1/4# (2 ribs) finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion

Dressing:
6 oz (1/2 cup) Miracle Whip (I used "Lite")
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp white pepper (I like it spicier so I use 1 tsp)
1 tsp  sugar
3 tsp yellow mustard
  
Whisk together the amount of dressing ingredients that suit your taste.  Toss the cooked pasta with the other salad ingredients.  Dress with dressing.

NOTE:  I keep the salad and dressing separate until serving-time so the dressing doesn't absorb into the pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment