Saturday, May 25, 2013

Food Find: Burrata Cheese


First, let me apologize for the skimpiness of postings lately.  Jim has been out of town and I am trying to plow through my frig/freezer to whittle down its inventory.  I'll try to get out a new recipe very soon.

But onto this post......some time ago a heard a spot about burrata cheese on NPR's "The Splendid Table."  I was intrigued and tried to find it.  No luck, not even on-line.  And then last week I was in Chattanooga's  "Whole Foods" store on the North Shore searching, again, for my nowhere-to-be-found-lately goat butter when low and behold!  I spied this little gem. 

Burrata is a homemade mozzarella filled with cream.  Granted, this is not an everyday treat.  This is definitely for special occasions or for a treat after spending about four hours at the gym!

I ate mine on a piece of crostini with some fresh tomatoes and basil.  Some of the serving suggestions on the card that came with the cheese were:

* toss with cooked pasta, fresh tomato, basil, olive oil, S&P
* use as a pizza topping
* on top of any sweet water biscuit with orange marmalade, chopped crystallized ginger, and orange zest as a dessert
* add to fresh tomato and basil for a twist on the classic caprese

If you're in a specialty food market, keep an eye out an try this for a special treat.  You'll be looking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment