Sunday, May 12, 2013

Spanish Rice


Looking through previous posts, I just can't believe I've never posted this recipe.  Don't you have recipes for a specific food that you always fall back on....your favorite meatloaf, mashed potato, roasted chicken, etc?  Well, given that I tend to make a fair amount of Mexican foods, Spanish rice is often included in the menu.  And this is the only recipe I will use.

This comes from "The Joy of Cooking."  The only changes I have made to suit our tastes are that I add cilantro and I use smoked paprika instead of the sweet or hot.  To me, the two changes add a depth of flavor that make this dish my fall-back recipe.  Perfect every time.

SPANISH RICE (4-6 servings)

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 slices bacon, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
cilantro to taste, about 1/2 handful (optional)
1 cup long-grain white rice (I use Jasmine)
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 tsp sweet or hot paprika (I use smoked)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine in a 10" ovenproof skillet or flameproof casserole the oil, bacon, onion, pepper, garlic, and cilantro and cook, stirring over medium heat until the onions are golden, about 5 minutes.

Add rice and stir until well coated.

Add broth, tomatoes, paprika, and S&P and bring to a boil.  Stir once, cover, transfer to oven, and bake until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes.

Uncover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe Source:  The Joy of Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment