Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Corned Beef Hash


I have never made corned beef hash.  In fact, I've only tasted it from the line of a breakfast buffet.  Not overly impressed.  But then, who knows how long it had been sitting out.

The reason I have never made it is because I've never had any leftover corned beef.  Even though I wasn't going to use all of my reserve, I decided to take a leap and use a bit of my precious leftovers to try it.  Afterall, I do love corned beef and potatoes.  It turned out wonderfully, especially with an over-easy egg to mop up the hash.

I looked at several recipes and this is a compilation of several, even though there are just a handful of ingredients (one recipe called for using beef broth which you poured in and let steam out, but I wanted to crispier version.....but you could certainly add this is you like a creamier version).  Also, I used leftover home-fried potatoes from a breakfast Jim and I went to which included some green and red peppers, which I thought would be a great addition to this hash.

CORNED BEEF HASH (4-6 servings)

2-3 Tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup green and/or red peppers, optional
2-3 cups finely chopped cooked corned beef
2-3 cups finely chopped cooked potatoes
S&P to taste

Melt about half of the butter in the bottom of a skillet.  Cook onions (and peppers, if using) until softened.  Add corned beef and potatoes and cook until crisp on the bottom.  Flip (add extra butter if necessary) and cook until other side is crisp.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment