Monday, May 19, 2014

Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

;

Why in the world do I only make corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day?  I love it!  I have found that our local markets carry two brands around this time of year (one: Murphy and David's and the other Groebbel's Flat Cut).  I've tried them both and several times I have had excellent results from the Groebbel's, better flavor and much less fat.  However, they only carry the Groebbel's during the St. Pat's season, so this year I picked up a few extras (update 9/1/14...I saw this brand the other day at Wal-Mart!).

I also prepared it in a slightly different manner in the pressure cooker.  Regardless, this stuff is so good I still am in awe of why I only serve it once a year.  Next year when I am able to find this brand in the store, I'm going to pick up more than a few!

CORNED BEEF and CABBAGE (4-6 servings....2-3 servings for 2# CB)

12 oz lager beer
3 to 3 1/2 lb corned beef brisket
heaping Tbsp minced garlic
pickling spice packet
1 large sweet onion, quartered
4-6 large carrots, peeled and halved (not lengthwise)
2 stalks celery, halved (not lengthwise)
1 small or half large head cabbage, halved or quartered
4-8 small/medium red potatoes

Place the lager, corned beef, garlic, pickling spice, and onion in the pressure cooker.

Secure the lid, press the BEEF button, and hold the button until 60 shows up on the LED.  (NOTE TO SELF:  For a 2# CB, I entered 40 minutes....could have tried 35......3/19-YES-25 minutes good for 2#).

When the cooking cycle has completed, turn the pressure release to the exhaust position to release any pressure.

Open the lid and add remaining ingredients.  Secure the lid and press the BEEF button again and hold it until 20 minutes appears on the LED (NOTE TO SELF:  Veggies too mushy....try 12 minutes....3/19 good....10 minutes would have been good).

When the cook cycle is complete, turn the pressure release nozzle to the exhaust position to releae any steam.

Remove ingredients to a platter and serve with spicy mustard and cider vinegar or horseradish sauce on the side.

NOTE:  This was prepared in my Cook's Essential 5-quart digital pressure cooker

No comments:

Post a Comment