Monday, June 23, 2014

Mushroom and Brie Soup with Fresh Dill


The last few days I've had a real craving for fresh dill.  Maybe because mine in my herb garden has really taken off (due to the absence of bunnies this year?)  I also apparently had a craving for mushrooms as I had picked up two batches when I found them for a dollar at Aldi's the other day.  And I'm apparently on a real soup run, evidenced by my making a batch of matzo ball soup last night at about 10:00 (with dill, of course).  Anywho...I knew I needed to use up the mushrooms so I decided to tweak that incredible mushroom and brie soup (see 4-1-14 post) by adding some dill.

I really made just a few changes to that recipe.  I used a lightly-filled 1/4 cup of freshly chopped dill, but think I would add more (I added some fresh to the finished product, but I prefer that slightly heated dill in the processed soup).  So that is up to your personal tastes.  I also lessened the garlic, broth, eliminated the S&P (you can also add that to suit your tastes).  

Save a couple of the quartered mushrooms for garnish and, of course, a little sprig of that lovely fresh dill.

MUSHROOM and BRIE SOUP with FRESH DILL (makes 5 cups)

1 Tbsp oil
1 pound mushrooms, quartered (I used white button mushrooms)
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 cup lightly-filled fresh dill (reserve some for garnish)
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups vegetable stock (I used Knorr vegetable stock which comes in a gel-form in tubs, found in the soup aisle)
4 oz Brie or Camembert, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup cream
S&P to taste (I suggest adding after tasting finished product)

Toss the mushrooms in the oil, place on baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to carmelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing them up once during the cooking (30-35 minutes in a NuWave or you can also saute them with the onions, see next step).

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add the flour and cook 2 minutes.

Add the wine and deglaze the pan.

Add the broth and mushrooms, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the milk and brie, let the brie melt, fish out the rinds, add the fresh dill and puree to desired consistency.  Add fresh dill (if desired) and S&P to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment