Sunday, June 8, 2014

Warm Nappa Slaw


This is Part Two of yesterday's listing.  Just when I think I've found my favorite coleslaw, WHAM!!!!  I new one comes down the pike!

Again, a Publix demo.  These people come up with the best and simplest of dishes.  And they're great at making the best substitutions.  The first day they made this slaw, they followed the recipe.  But then the produce department ran out of the Nappa cabbage, so they substituted angel-hair cole slaw and they all agreed they like that version even better. 

Also, this recipe calls for spinach salad dressing (they used Marie's brand, found in the produce department).  Since it's a relatively small amount, I was just going to make my bacon viniagrette that I usually make when making a spinach salad.  But when making a new recipe for the first time, I like to follow it as directed and then make my personal desired changes the second time around.  So I splurged and bought the dressing.  So glad I did!

I used it the next night on a spinach salad and a wonderful marinated tilapia....a bonus thanks to Publix.  But back to today's post.

One adjustment I did make (outside of using the angel hair slaw), I cut the recipe in half.  I ended up using about 2/3 to 3/4 bag of a 10 oz bag of slaw mix and cut everything else in half.  But I'm posting this recipe as Publix printed it.  I could make a meal out of this slaw.  Holy Smokes!  It is so good.

WARM NAPPA SLAW (6 servings)

1 medium head Nappa cabbage, thinly sliced
4 slices bacon, thinly chopped
8 oz sliced mushrooms (2 cups)
1/3 cup spinach salad dressing
2 tsp country Dijon mustard
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Preheat large saute pan on medium 2-3 minutes.  Place bacon in pan; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until crisp.  Remove bacon, reserving 2 Tbsp drippings in pan.  Add mushrooms to drippings, cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.

Combine spinach dressing and mustard then stir into mushrooms, cook and stir 1 minute.

Remove pan fromheat; pour dressing over cabbage.  Add blue cheese and bacon; toss until evenly coated.  Serve.

Recipe Source:  www.publix.com/aprons

No comments:

Post a Comment