Friday, July 10, 2015

Fish Chowder


This is so good!!!!

Maybe so because I'm biased.....I loved fish/seafood and soup.  But this chowder is different in that it includes mushrooms which really ramps up the flavor.  In fact, I would double the amount of mushrooms the recipe calls for making this a Cream of Mushroom/Fish Chowder!

I actually had everything on hand and didn't need a run to the grocery store.  Although this recipe called for cod, I had a single leftover Swai and tilapia fillet in the freezer so I used those.  Really, just about any mild, white fish would work wonderfully.  I used russet potatoes because the one I have are aging, but personally, I would prefer reds (the russets were actually quite good in this recipe).

I'm so glad I made the entire recipe (I usually half it since there are just the two of us) so now I have leftovers for a midnight snack or lunch tomorrow.

FISH CHOWDER (4 servings)

1 Tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 fresh mushrooms (yes, just two mushrooms), sliced (I'd more than double this, at least 4-8, but I LOVE mushrooms)
1/2 thick stalk or 1 slim stalk celery, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups diced potatoes
1 pound cod, diced into 1/2" cubes
1/8 tsp Old Bay seasoning
S&P to taste
1/2 cup clam juice
1/4 AP flour
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk

In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat.  Saute onions, mushrooms, and celery in butter until tender.

Add chicken stock and potatoes, simmer 10 minutes.

Add fish, simmer 10 minutes.  Add Old Bay seasoning and S&P.  Mix together clam juice and flour until smooth.  Stir into soup.  Remove from heat and stir in evaporated milk.

Recipe Source:  www.allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment